Sunday, May 07, 2006

Forgiveness

Recently I realized that forgiveness is just not possible. For example, I know of a situation where some people treated some guy I know poorly. They probably won't realize how their actions were wrong. And so this guy I know has trouble because people just like to at least be acknowledged that they were wronged.

The church teaches a couple of ways of getting around this. They teach you should have low expectations or you can talk it out with the person. But talking won't help if the person won't realize their faults or won't admit it because of pride, etc. And I don't know of a foolproof way of lowering your expectations. Fasting maybe. But I think maybe there comes a time when you just have to forgive because you can't avoid being offended.

Hmm. I was just looking at Luke 17 (which is hard to find if you can't spell offence right). Which is where Jesus says that it's impossible for offenses not to come. Although in different translations it seems to be talking about people sinning against you. Maybe that's the same thing. Yeah, that sounds like it will work. Anyways, I notice that after Jesus says to forgive seven times, the disciples asked for more faith. No doubt.

But back to what I was thinking. I think sometimes that you just can't forgive (at least in your own strength). You have to forgive through the power of God working in you. And that's when there is real spiritual power, not some churchy method of forgiveness that is only done in the flesh. :) Why people don't teach the first, I can't understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home